Win7 pro administrator problem

TopCat® 18:08 PM 19 May 11
Answered

I'd like to change my computer's administrator rights to myself (the User) only but am unsure how to do it. On' Manage Accounts' I used to show three items; (1) User - standard user (2) Administrator - administrator and ( 3) Guest (inactive). Now when I open User Accounts through Control Panel I only show (1) User - standard user! Looking in at 'Change User Account Control settings' via the Action Centre I note that the slider is at the top (Default - Always notify me when: Programs try to install software etc., and when 'I make changes to Windows settings.' I remember the default slider position used to be set one notch lower.

Also, when I boot up the PC I'm now confronted by two options - Administrator or User buttons, whereas before the PC booted right through to the desktop. The User log-on has everything including all my files, so I don't want to lose anything if at all possible.

Tried several system restores but they fail to complete. I have updated everything and thoroughly scanned all. Any help and guidance will be gratefully received. TC.

TopCat® 18:12 PM 19 May 11

I was about to do a 'repair' reinstall of Windows from my retail DVD, but having SP1 installed now makes this impossible. TC.

BurrWalnut 19:06 PM 19 May 11

TC

1. To make yourself an administrator, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Highlight your account > Properties > Group Membership Tab, tick Administrator and Apply, etc.

2.To bypass login, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Remove the tick from “Users must enter a user name and password” > OK. You may have to type the user account name/password just the once to complete the process.

1. To bypass entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and put a check mark in Don’t require a password.

2. To run a repair install, you will have to firstly uninstall SP1 via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > View installed updates > Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) > Uninstall.

BurrWalnut 19:11 PM 19 May 11

Let me post this again in the hope that it displays correctly:

To make yourself an administrator, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Highlight your account > Properties > Group Membership Tab, tick Administrator and Apply, etc.

To bypass login, click the Windows Orb (Start), type netplwiz and press Enter. Remove the tick from “Users must enter a user name and password” > OK. You may have to type the user account name/password just the once to complete the process.

To bypass entering a password after hibernation, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Power Options > Require a password on wakeup (in the left pane) and put a check mark in Don’t require a password.

To run a repair install, you will have to firstly uninstall SP1 via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features > View installed updates > Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) > Uninstall.

TopCat® 21:38 PM 19 May 11

BurrWalnut

Thanks for the help. I followed your instructions but unfortunately I finished up with Administrator boot up to the desktop and very little else. A window opened at bottom right by the taskbar stating a temporary time limit was on and files would be deleted afterwards. I did highlight my User account when complying with your instructions. This is the account that has everything so I need to keep it, and hopefully as administrator too. :o)

I've already tried to remove SP1 files before attempting your instructions, but after reaching 99% removed it did not complete and went on to reverse file removal !! TC.

TopCat® 22:50 PM 19 May 11
Answer

Did some archive searching of this forum and found this: http://www.windows7news.com/2009/02/03/enable-or-disable-the-windows-7-administrator-account/click here

This action seems to have done the trick, alongside BurrWalnut's instructions as per above. I now boot straight on to desktop and have administrator status as well! :o)) TC.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites