Win7 Administrator Rights

jimforrest 25 Aug 12

I have just bought a shiny new Samsung Laptop with Win7 running on it. I have connected to my old Acer Laptop via the wireless network and it is transferring files across. For one file though it refused to copy it without the Administrator's permission! What the hell - it's my computer and it does what I tell it to do! (Except that it won't). How do I get rid of this stupid permissions thing chaps?

rdave13 26 Aug 12

Window 7 permissions from Seven Forums. Should help.

jimforrest 26 Aug 12

Thankyou Rdave, that did the job and I copied the file ok. But what would happen if I just turn UAC off? I've been using computers since the days of Amstrad - so I know never to open a file without scanning and to leave System Files alone etc. I really don't need nannying.

rdave13 26 Aug 12

What UAC? ;) It's been 'off' on my PC since day one. Sometimes not enough though.

jimforrest 27 Aug 12

OK - I set UAC to zero - got the usual warnings about how I'm now vulnerable to cyber nasties, shark attacks, carpet bombing etc - but we'll see!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message