Win XP mode in W7

I use W7 Home Premium 64bit.
In the Aug2010 PCA (pp104 + 109), there are instructions to run older apps in WXP mode in W7. I tried this but MS say I need the Ultimate or Professional version.
Nowhere in the magazine does it say this. If I pretend to have the Ultimate version will it work or is PCA wrong or being economical with the truth?

HondaMan 18:55 04 Jun 10

See this link click here

The link is that given by PCA (p109) that says Home Premium cannot be upgraded.
I would like to find a method that I can use.

click here

Please visit this link for a detailed explanation of how xp mode works in windows 7.

pcs365.8

I have read the article from your link.
I think it says I can instal a virtual PC but not WXP mode although the PCA link suggests I can't do either with Home Premium.
Is this correct or I am being my normal thick, ignorant self? If it is correct, does this mean I can't install XP Mode or what?
If not correct, what should I do

pcs365.8

I have read the article from your link.
I think it says I can instal a virtual PC but not WXP mode although the PCA link suggests I can't do either with Home Premium.
Is this correct or I am being my normal thick, ignorant self? If it is correct, does this mean I can't install XP Mode or what?
If not correct, what should I do?

HondaMan 11:46 05 Jun 10

Tes, it says "If you meet the OS version......". If you then go to the link in my post and click on "Home Premium" ypou will see that there is NO upgrade path. If you click on the Professional version it will give you language options.

Further searching on the Microsoft site will confirm that you need Professional or above.

HondaMan 11:49 05 Jun 10

Extract from here click here

Virtual PC 2007 requires a 400 MHz Pentium-compatible processor (1.0 GHz or faster recommended), and requires approximately 35 MB of disk space. It runs on Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) (Enterprise, Business, Ultimate), and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

HondaMan, thanks for all the help.
Unfortunately however, you have confirmed what I was afraid of - I can't do it.

rdave13 23:23 05 Jun 10

click here
You'll need a key for your XP retail disc I think.

rdave13
I don't have an XP retail disc. Instead, I have a Mesh recovery disc for XP home-with product key. Will this do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5