Win XP Home Restore

weston 14:42 09 Dec 14

I have recently received a Dell desktop computer with win XP Home already installed. It has a celeron CPU but I have no other details. When I boot-up, the previous owners name appears and below the need to enter a password. Can a clean reinstall or restore be carried out without entering the password? I have the original disks supplied with the machine.

onthelimit1 15:14 09 Dec 14

Yes you can clean install by putting the disk in then booting from that drive. You may need to tap F12 as the Dell logo comes on to choose to boot from that DVD drive. make sure you have a clear CoA sticker first as you'll need to enter the code to activate windows.

onthelimit1 15:15 09 Dec 14

P.S. If you have a Dell driver disk, run that once windows is installed.

lotvic 15:20 09 Dec 14

Dell factory fresh restore click here

Step 3: Restore the computer's software to original condition

Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center Notice: Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold Ctrl and then press F11 Then, release both keys at the same time. Note: Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have F11 nor any substitute. If the key strokes are not working or you do not have PC Restore any more.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press Tab to highlight Restore, and then press Enter

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press Tab to highlight Confirm and then press Enter.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear: The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press Tab to highlight Finish and then press Enter to restart the computer.The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

That's the quickest way :)

Or, if you have the original DELL disks supplied with the machine you can install with them and you won't need to enter a product key or activate as they are pre-programmed with a SLP key (to match up with a Dell BIOS).

You need the Drivers CD as well as the XP reinstall DVD.

StephenCrossland 18:29 09 Dec 14

I found click here at majorgeeks.

Good luck, s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…