win 7 start up button

Newuser3477 16:22 PM 20 Oct 11

previously when I left clicked on the start button a windoew appeared with a search box above it and above that black and white panels with control panel etc showing. This doesn't happen any more i don't know what i have accidenty clicked but can anyone tell me how to restore window Thanks

rdave13 16:57 PM 20 Oct 11

Right click the start button, properties, start menu, customize tab and select the use default tab bottom left, click ok and apply.

Newuser3477 19:40 PM 20 Oct 11

Thanks unfortunately I had tried this solution and it didn't work' is there anthing else I can try?

Zak 21:24 PM 20 Oct 11

Have you tried system restore to an earlier point when the windows 7 orb button was working?

Windows 7 Start Orb Not Working

northumbria61 12:49 PM 11 Nov 11

If you haven't yet found a solution to your problem I would run the SFC /SCANNOW File Checker from the Command Prompt. enter link description here

difarn 13:53 PM 11 Nov 11

Hi northumbria61

Had read about this happening in a blog and had this bookmarked if your problem is still unresolved:-

"The problem appears to be the ‘Start Menu window’ been moved to another location, mysteriously and for unknown reason. In order to fix and restore Start Menu to its original default and “by right” position, unlock the Taskbar (by unticking Lock the taskbar option when right clicking on empty space of Taskbar), and then move the Taskbar to another position on desktop (can be to the left, right or top position), before drag it back to original bottom of the screen position. Once Windows Taskbar is back to position, Start Menu will be recovered and reverted to its default location, i.e. above the Taskbar.

If the trick above doesn’t solve the Start Menu issue, try to change any customization option of Start Menu (right click on Start Menu button and choose Properties, and then click on Customize button). Apply the change. Then, revert the change back to original settings. The Start Menu should be fixed this way too."

Worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…