Win 7 needs XP disk in dvd drive

kimtrnc 16:36 PM 13 Nov 09

I am considering buying a very highly specced, but second hand machine which has Win 7 ultimate (genuine)installed.
It has lots of goodies, and is extremely fast, but owner says it will not run without the XP disk in the drive. Should I be worrying about this, or is there a way to deal with the problem, please?

Zeppelyn 19:13 PM 13 Nov 09

Win 7 does not check OS disks like older versions and there should be no reason whatsoever for it to be in the drive. If the PC is a good deal anyway I would buy your own copy of Win 7, Ultimate being a bit OTT for home use tho.

ambra4 08:17 AM 16 Nov 09

Just do a factory restore back to the original manufactured settings on the computer and do a

fresh install of Windows 7

kimtrnc 09:59 AM 16 Nov 09

Well, I would - IF I was being given the orignal W7 disk with the machine.
I have now decided it's not a very good idea. I will look elsewhere for a new W7 machine
thanks to all who tried to help

ambra4 13:39 PM 16 Nov 09

Tick the box and click resolved

kimtrnc 13:55 PM 16 Nov 09

I did! And I've just done it again!

a member 18:24 PM 25 Nov 09

this has happened a number of times with machines that have a loader installed , during OS installation the bios are setup to boot from CD ,not a problem usually but some are intalling pirate copies of windows 7 and using a loader (grubdos4) to trick the operating system into thinking its a legit oem machine (for example Dell or HP .then some additional files and a key are added and the machine will be genuine as far as everyone is concerned , but illegal .
the owner should not offered it to you .and should not have been clever enough to pirate it .and not dumb enough to not know all he had to do was set bios to boot from HDD instead of CD .
glad to hear you declined the offer.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…