win 7 home premium upgrade reinstall

Paulivo 20:48 04 Oct 10

I need to reinstall & was wondering if i have to install Xp first or is there a way of just using the upgrade disc

a member 21:19 04 Oct 10

icrosoft themselves do not reccomend trying to upgrade in the normal way ,they do an excellent printable tutorial of how to upgrade to windows 7 from XP click here
hope it helps.

Paulivo 23:45 04 Oct 10

I dont want to upgrade to win 7, I already have it installed, but due to various problems i want to do a fresh reinstall, and was wondering if i could just put the upgrade disc in, or if i had to install xp and then use the win 7 upgrade disc.

Paulivo 23:54 04 Oct 10

Ok I have now have found the possible answer to this problem, ad incase anyone may find this a help
heres a link.
click here

a member 08:27 05 Oct 10

if you had taken the trouble to actually look at the microsoft page I linked ,you would have read that their instructions were how to clean install win 7 ,even a upgrade version .they discovered major problem with upgrading from winXP to win7 so they allow users to clean install ,thhe full instructions were there in PDF , if you ha taken the time to look .

Paulivo 15:36 05 Oct 10

Merlinx I did read your link and i have read it again and I cannot find the answer there.
It states for a custom install
01."With your computer on and windows XP running"
06."Choose the partition containing xp"
As i pointed out I do not have XP on my PC, I have Windows 7 hp upgrade & I wanted to save the time installing Xp just to have the upgrade disc overwrite it.

kristain 07:15 11 Oct 10

first you need to install XP then upgrade CD.

Paulivo 11:06 12 Oct 10

All i had to do in the end was put the win 7 home update disc in and follow the prompts to install a fresh installation.Interestingly when i originally installed this I had many problems with trying to get 5.1 sound to work.But this time it seems to have sorted this out.

T0SH 19:27 18 Oct 10

There is no upgrade path from Windows XP directly to Windows 7 this is only possible via an upgrade to Windows Vista first

This is how Microsoft say to do it using the "Custom" option which does a clean install which is destructive so be sure your data is backed up

click here

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced