Win 7 defragmenting tool

VCR97 19:30 PM 15 Oct 12

Does Win7's built-in defragger operate on external discs or just on the C drive?

kad60 07:51 AM 16 Oct 12

Yes...have a read.

john bunyan 10:03 AM 16 Oct 12

I have found that the Auslogics free defrag is quicker than the built in W7 one. See:

Auslogics

VCR97 20:07 PM 16 Oct 12

Thanks both. Unfortunately I can't access the defrag tool to do anything. I get a pop-up saying that the defrag settings were set by another (unspecified) program and that I can't proceed unless I remove the settings. I get options "Remove settings" or "Cancel". I don't want to remove the settings as I have no idea what they are. Perhaps this is something that Sony did. (It's a Vaio.)

wiz-king 15:39 PM 17 Oct 12

Win 7's defrag tool seems to run weekly by default on my Fujitsu.

If I put 'defrag' into the program search then I get a box where I can change the settings.

john bunyan 18:59 PM 17 Oct 12

VCR97.

Well then, just download and use the Auslogics one mentioned above. It is better than the W7 one, IMHO

VCR97 20:05 PM 17 Oct 12

wiz-king

That's what I do. That gives the pop-up.

john bunyan

Problem is that I don't see how I could stop the W7 defragger.

I suspect that this is something done by Sony. I'll see if their support can help.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Microsoft's Gamescom 2015 Xbox conference: Watch Microsoft reveal new Xbox One games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…