Will it be worth the effort?

StephenCrossland 00:56 19 Sep 14

I have a Win Xp setup. Freshly reinstalled and feeling happy. The motherboard is 4Core1600-GLAN and reads sata2. The plan is to clone the drive and replace it with a ssd drive. Any advice as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. The speed of writing especially with HD video editing.

s.

beeuuem 01:54 19 Sep 14

Be aware that XP isn't SSD friendly. click here said click here state that their partition manager, free from click here has a 'Migrate OS to SSD or HDD.' option which claims that 'this function can help to move OS to SSD without reinstalling windows.'

That

beeuuem 01:57 19 Sep 14

That didn't appear as clearly as I thought it would !

Be aware that XP isn't SSD friendly. click here

That said click here state that their AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition partition manager - free from click here - has a 'Migrate OS to SSD or HDD.' option which claims that 'this function can help to move OS to SSD without reinstalling windows.'

beeuuem 01:58 19 Sep 14

I Give up !! I hope you can make some sense of the above.

wee eddie 04:02 19 Sep 14

If I remember rightly an SSD needs special software to be managed. I doubt that this is available for XP or Vista. Both of which predate the technology.

StephenCrossland 15:59 19 Sep 14

Thank you for the replies. The motherboard is Vista friendly but I have stuck with XP. I was hoping that write speeds up to 3GB/ps could be possible with sata2. Assuming backwards compatibility with a sata3 ssd but what do I know?

I shall have to look at it further before I spend any doshers.

Best Wishes, s.

beeuuem 16:11 19 Sep 14

This article click here,3469.htmladdresses your question. The answer appears to be that you will see a noticeable improvement. Whether it is worth the effort is another matter.

beeuuem 16:12 19 Sep 14

I'll get the hang of this one day !! click here,3469.html

beeuuem 16:17 19 Sep 14

Sorry - the link won't work. Final effort click here

bumpkin 16:34 19 Sep 14

Not in my opinion, probably be problems with XP.

StephenCrossland 16:57 19 Sep 14

Thank you again everyone. My question now must take a change of direction. If I were to clone a ssd drive with my current XP setup and then find I couldn't get the PC to boot. Oh joy BSOD. How I love your absence...

Would I be able to re-format the SSD drive. Wipe it clean and into a more upto date pc, sata3 et al?

Are there any restrictions?

The first pc I bought second-hand in 1990. 40MB disk drive. MSDOS 5.25in disk. It's all changed. s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac