Why is Vista slow?

skeletal 20:58 20 May 07

Can anyone think of a way to speed Vista up? On the rare occasions I get it to work, it always seems slow.

Today I have proof. With the usual Vista crashes, I managed to load Office. Having done so I opened up an Access database and ran a query. It took 13.6 seconds.

I then rebooted in XP and ran the same database and query. It took 8.9 seconds.

Vista is thus significantly slower, but fits with my perception.

Also, Vista is forever hammering the hard drive. I know about the indexing, but I reckon it has been running the best part of 6 hours. Coppernic desktop search takes about an hour to index from scratch.

Also, it spends a fair time with the processor running at 50%, with nothing running.

But before you ask, before and after the Access test, the processor was running at 2% so whatever sets it off had stopped.

Thoughts anyone?

Skeletal

skidzy 22:33 20 May 07

Not much help im afraid,but my Vista flies along with an E6300 dual core and 2GB of ram.
Though i dont use Office,i do tinker with photo's and videos and still have no problem what so ever.

Though i must admit,the recent batch of updates from MS has totally messed up my Windows mail,its so slow now...just waiting for a patch !

this is a question i keep asking and cant get answers, everythings seems sluggish compared to xp, frame rates, back ups, searches everything. just wish the reason for all the extra resources needed was more evident.

skidzy 22:47 20 May 07

Maybe im one of the lucky ones here (except WM)

Creating backups/burning/and searching on my system is a breeze,especially the search facility...its like lightening.

Though the difference maybe,this came preinstalled and not an upgrade,not that i thought that would make a difference.

it was the first o/s to go on my second pc, i find xp a lot more raw, less pretty on the eyes and pretty much the bare minimum as an operating system, i just feel thats what an operating system should be, if you want to pretty it up or make it more secure you can, but you have the choice, i tweek a lot with xp, i just found it a little frustrating i suppose.

skeletal 23:45 20 May 07

The thing is you can sometimes get fooled (either way) with speed of response; the way a window opens for example. In Vista there is quite a nice effect, but it is slightly slower than an “instant on”. Now this would not bother me, and I could put up with that apparent slow down, because I understand it, and accept it is a compromise.

But when you actually time something, that’s different. We are talking about a significant slow down. I would have thought this would have shown up with stuff like video encoding etc that some people on this forum may play with. If that is as slow as my example, it would mean a 9 minute process would take nearly 14 minutes.

I’ll have to run a different type of query, and try writing a bit of code and do a few more experiments. Perhaps some security stuff runs in the background or something.

Skeletal

Kate B 11:55 21 May 07

You and Vista really aren't getting on, Skeletal, are you? I'm sorry you're having such a rough time - I love it.

one thing i dont get kate, is you have a gaming pc, how on earth do you put up/ work around the various issues?

Kate B 12:35 21 May 07

I don't have any issues! Vista's nice and fast on my machine and now that Mustek has finally released a driver for my scanner, everything is working.

oh my mistake, i was sure you said oblivion was unplayable in a previous thread. ignore me :)

Kate B 13:01 21 May 07

actually, I haven't tried Oblivion since I installed the latest drivers - I'd forgotten about that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5