Why do I have to stop and restart the Print Spooler in Windows 8.1?

RISC OS user 22:01 PM 08 Nov 13
Answered

Since installing Windows 8.1 I usually have to used the Command Prompt Window and type "Services.msc" followed by return and then the services window appears, I then scroll down to Print Spooler open it and then stop the spooler and restart it. This is the only way I can get my HP psc 1350 to be recognised and receive printer jobs from my Laptop to my Desktop PC over my LAN. This is not needed every time I boot the Laptop and wish to print, but more often than not. Windows 7 and 8 both printed correctly over the LAN. I have read other sites and no one seems to have an answer. The printer works correctly from the Desktop where it is connected via a USB port. The Laptop is running Windows 8.1, the Desktop it running Windows 7 Is there an permanent answer to this problem, as even the Microsoft help site does not really cover the subject.

rdave13 22:51 PM 08 Nov 13
Answer

I suppose the service is set to auto? LAN is Ethernet, WLAN is wireless.

RISC OS user 10:55 AM 09 Nov 13

Yes it is set to Automatic, I have both LAN and WLAN does not seem to matter which. This morning I did not need to stop and restart the spooler!

rdave13 20:31 PM 09 Nov 13

Even XP 'repaired' itself sometimes with a few reboots. Hope it lasts :)

rdave13 23:36 PM 09 Nov 13

RISC OS user, Windows fixed itself after a few reboots then. Nice to know nothing really changes. Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…