Why do I have to stop and restart the Print Spooler in Windows 8.1?

RISC OS user 22:01 PM 08 Nov 13
Answered

Since installing Windows 8.1 I usually have to used the Command Prompt Window and type "Services.msc" followed by return and then the services window appears, I then scroll down to Print Spooler open it and then stop the spooler and restart it. This is the only way I can get my HP psc 1350 to be recognised and receive printer jobs from my Laptop to my Desktop PC over my LAN. This is not needed every time I boot the Laptop and wish to print, but more often than not. Windows 7 and 8 both printed correctly over the LAN. I have read other sites and no one seems to have an answer. The printer works correctly from the Desktop where it is connected via a USB port. The Laptop is running Windows 8.1, the Desktop it running Windows 7 Is there an permanent answer to this problem, as even the Microsoft help site does not really cover the subject.

rdave13 22:51 PM 08 Nov 13
Answer

I suppose the service is set to auto? LAN is Ethernet, WLAN is wireless.

RISC OS user 10:55 AM 09 Nov 13

Yes it is set to Automatic, I have both LAN and WLAN does not seem to matter which. This morning I did not need to stop and restart the spooler!

rdave13 20:31 PM 09 Nov 13

Even XP 'repaired' itself sometimes with a few reboots. Hope it lasts :)

rdave13 23:36 PM 09 Nov 13

RISC OS user, Windows fixed itself after a few reboots then. Nice to know nothing really changes. Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites