Which Folder?

holburn 07:39 AM 31 Jul 09

Have a MS hotfix ready to download via a link in my e-mail and have reached a stumbling block. A window pops up and asks me to "Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to" This is followed by "C:\" and my problem is, what to key in. I have no idea where to find such a number (if it is a number). Can you help me?

BRYNIT 08:11 AM 31 Jul 09

??? never had a MS hot fix via e-mail link seems strange.What is the hot fix and who sent the e-mail???

But to answer your question you can save it to any folder you sellect.

Usually you get a window saying Run, save, cancel click on save opens another window. If you look to the botton left you will see browes folders, click on this and you can sellect where you want to save the file.

holburn 08:49 AM 31 Jul 09

Hi Brynit and thank u for your reply. The fix is from MS and did come via a link in an e-mail from them. Following your instrutions I saved the fix to the desktop but when I click on the icon I still get the dialogue box(?) asking me to complete "C:\........." and I still dont know what to type in here.

holburn 08:55 AM 31 Jul 09

Right clicked on the icon, then left on run but still asked for location details ie "C:\?????????".

Pine Man 12:36 PM 31 Jul 09

Right click on the icon and then select 'Extract All'. When asked where to unzip to, browse for desktop. After the extraction you should have another folder on your desktop with the extracted files in it.

holburn 16:37 PM 31 Jul 09

Thanks for replying.If you mean the icon on the desktop, when I right click I dont get the option to extract all.

holburn 16:58 PM 31 Jul 09

This is what I have to fill in. Where do I get the information?[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Pine Man 18:53 PM 31 Jul 09

You're 'click here' doesn't work.

holburn 19:36 PM 31 Jul 09

Hi Pine man. Sorry about the link - have lost all of my photobucket stuff. The window merely displayed what I included in my first posting - "C:\???????????". I need to know what to type in where I put the ? marks. I did get a message saying that the items had been assimilated into my computer but I dont know how to get the Hotfix to apply itself.

Sea Urchin 23:30 PM 31 Jul 09

Microsoft are not in the habit of sending you links in emails - unless perhaps it is in response to a query you made to them. Even then they generally point you to a link on their website.

There is a virus doing the rounds at the moment, which comes in the form of an email from Microsoft - needless to say it's not genuine.

rdave13 00:03 AM 01 Aug 09

As to your original post it's good to know you don't know where to unzip or extract the folder to..
Treat the email as 'spam' or 'junk' and forget about it.
Any updates from Microsoft comes from Microsoft updates from within the browser in XP or from 'Updates' in the Start list in Vista.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…