When buying a PC with Vista pre-installed.....

s99Raj 16:47 06 Mar 07

I'm about to buy a laptop, from Currys, with Vista pre-installed.

I want to make sure they don't fob me off just by handing me a box and saying it's all pre-installed, so should I also get a copy of Vista on a DVD?

crosstrainer 16:51 06 Mar 07

Probably not...what you will have is a partition on the hard drive with all the files needed to install windows should the need arise...in other words, although you won't have a physical copy of Vista...it will be there on the machine if you need to restore it. Most laptop's come pre-configured this way... I am an oem, and own an Acer Aspire laptop which runs XP MCE...this has a partition containing the re-install files and various options in the BIOS to perform the action if required.

s99Raj 16:51 06 Mar 07

What would happen if I needed a new hard drive?

anskyber 16:53 06 Mar 07

Rather than buying a DVD of Vista get an external HDD and a copy of Acronis True Image. The latter will copy everything including your OS together with all your settings.

In the event of trouble it will restore everything perfectly.

anskyber 16:55 06 Mar 07

Acronis will "clone" a HD for replacement.

crosstrainer 16:57 06 Mar 07

No point in buying a dvd copy of Vista... anskyber i correct, but people seem to be having problems with Acronis and Vista... no doubt patches will be released shortly...but you need not worry... if you needded a new hard drive, or your system failed, your warranty would cover this.

s99Raj 16:57 06 Mar 07

Is there likely to be any problems with the product key?

s99Raj 16:58 06 Mar 07

What happens when the warranty runs out and I need to install a new hard dirve?

Kate B 17:09 06 Mar 07

If you need to install a new hard drive in a laptop you're better off simply buying a new laptop!

anskyber 17:11 06 Mar 07

Acronis have in the last couple of days issued a new release which includes improved Vista compatibility.

s99Raj 17:11 06 Mar 07

I doubt I'd buy a new laptop just because the hard drive's buggered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…