Want to use desktop to record music

ady888s 12:12 30 Sep 10

Hi there,

I’ve got an Acer Aspire AX3900. I’ve just started writing songs again and want to use my computer for recording. I have downloaded Mixcraft 5 which seems pretty good but the sound quality is pretty bad (sounds distant, like I’m in another room).

Can anyone recommend an additional soundcard? Would this make a difference? My budget is not great - £20 to £40. Is it possible/worth it to upgrade to a better soundcard from the factory installed one (I guess its on board) for this price?

Cheers,

AD

ady888s 12:24 30 Sep 10

What I really want to know is how is the difference between a generic soundcard and one that costs £30 measured?

mgmcc 14:14 30 Sep 10

If it sounds as though you're in another room, I'd be inclined to suspect the quality of the microphone as the first thing to look at. I have an Acer Desktop running Windows 7 and an Acer "Net-top" (Intel Atom processor) running XP. With good speakers the sound quality from both is quite astounding. It is certainly just as good as the "Creative Sound Blaster" card that I installed in an older PC.

chub_tor 09:08 01 Oct 10

Microphone set up may be worth trying click here

Lex87 17:57 01 Oct 10

Upgrading to a better sound card can make a big difference in your recording quality. A good sound card can easily be $200 USD but you might be able to find one cheap used. Craigslist or ebay or your local used computer shop can probably help.

<A HREF="click here">insurance quotes</A>

john bunyan 18:50 01 Oct 10

Sound cards are nowhere near that dear. The Creative X - Fi is what I use at about £30 - Lex87 looks a spammer.If you are intersted

click here#

ady888s 20:09 01 Oct 10

Thanks everyone, i'll definitly look into these. i think I'll probably start with the mic (I know thats probably the biggest culprit). I still have my suspicions about the sound card and might consider an upgrade (5.1) for around £30-40 I guess. Might be a bit of trial and error.

Thanks again,

Ad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…