W8 boots into an unresponsive screen (apps just 'hang')

georgemackey86 16:53 PM 24 Jan 13

I have both the Vista/W7 32-bit upgrade version running on a SATA2 HDD, & the 64-bit full Pro version running on a SATA3 SSD. I always disconnect one before running the other. In both cases, W8 will boot up normally, & I can go straight into the desktop screen without problems. However, about 1 in 3 times, the apps just hang & it either boots into an empty desktop, or the apps tiles depress & do nothing. I have reloaded both versions several times & eliminated driver issues by testing after each driver installation, but it happens without any programmes being installed, other than those that W8 installs. I have an AMD 3.3Ghz 6-core CPU on a Gigabyte 940 motherboard with 8Gb of RAM. I have tried Bios revisions up to the latest version without any changes to the problem. Can someone enlighten me with regard to this problem please?

chub_tor 17:15 PM 24 Jan 13

Have you tried turning off Fast Start Up? Click Here

georgemackey86 08:56 AM 21 Feb 13

I would like to thank chub_tor for the excellent advice. I returned home yesterday & my PC 'hung' straight away. After I got it started, I disabled the fast start up & it has started up normally (if a bit slower!) since then.

I have turned the fast start off on my 32-bit & 64-bit platforms to stabilise them. If this problem is specific to W8 & is not PC related, I hope that Microsoft know & are addressing it. There isn't much help on this subject out there, & it can be frustrating trying to get good advice such as this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know