w8 apps search starts by itself

oigle1 21:27 24 Jan 14
Answered

Start W8. Tiles appear then within seconds, the apps search panel appears and a multitude of dots appear in the text area. Clicking on main screen removes the panel but it quickly reappears. Backspacing removes the dots but they then reappear. Touchpad mouse is very unresponsive - sometimes works a bit. Any ideas?

oigle1 22:14 24 Jan 14

Have since found that by removing the wireless internet dongle, the problem has, for now, gone away..... Have connected it to the net on a home network and all working OK. Seems must have an issue with the internet dongle. Any ideas why this would happen. This is NOT my computer and I'm trying to sort the problems for someone else. Seems the computer was working fine with the dongle and then went bad.

oigle1 05:31 25 Jan 14
Answer

Above solution was not correct. Problem was found to be related to a previous search done by the owner. The name related to an auction site and must have dumped a virus of sorts on the computer. A scan by AVG and also by malwarebytes failed to find it. No sign of the file when searching but it still resided in the search history folder. Once I understood the problem, I was able to go to PC Settings and find the search history and delete all the history. The problem has completely disappeared. Nice tricky one - only took 3 hours of searching around!!!

rdave13 13:18 25 Jan 14

Thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…