W 7 and dual boot niggles.

john bunyan 16:48 PM 29 Nov 09

Have 3 partitions, C (W7) D (XP) and F (data). Hoping to ditch XP when all testing done. Problems so far: 1. If Xp launched, it deletes all restore points in W7.One fix is to use Bitlocker on W7 but apparently my motherboard /BIOS does not support it. A reg edit has yet to be tried. 2. Twain drivers for W7 64 bit not available for my Canon MP760 - hope they work on a MP640 as the WIA interface is not flexible. Still cannot get W7 to use more than 3 out of 4 Gig RAM - hope this will improve when XP is ditched as the start up, I suspect , limits the amount usable. 3. My motherboard does not , apparently, support the XP emulation mode, so I have not downloaded it, even though I have W 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Using PC Tools firewall, Avira anti virus plus SAS and Malawarebytes, so far so good. Any quick fix for restore points problem - any other dual booters having the same prob?

ambra4 17:06 PM 29 Nov 09

“If XP launched, it deletes all restore points in W7”

Take a read it might help

click here

john bunyan 17:56 PM 29 Nov 09

Thanks, butcould not find this issue there. The MS site knows about it and there is a regedit, but I have et to try it. Just wondered if other dual booters with XP and W7 have found this problem.

daconnor 18:24 PM 29 Nov 09

I had to edit the registry when installing W7 to dual boot with XP on my netbook and it did stop restore points from being deleted.

john bunyan 09:11 AM 30 Nov 09

Thanks - did you do the MS edit, or another?

daconnor 13:23 PM 30 Nov 09

I followed the instructions detailed in KB926185
click here

john bunyan 14:18 PM 30 Nov 09

Thanks, will try it. In the meantime relying on ATI 2010 imaging on W7 - maybe will try their continuous back ups.

Zeppelyn 15:53 PM 30 Nov 09

This is not a new problem with Win 7, it also occurs when dual booting with Vista, its down to different disk structuresthat XP cannot recognise. The downside of the registry edit is that you will not be able to access the Win 7 partition from XP. As you suggest the best option is to use True Image for regular back ups until you ditch XP.

Before you erase XP make sure the required boot files are not deleted, these will be on the system drive, they are bootmgr and a folder named Boot.

john bunyan 17:16 PM 30 Nov 09

Thanks for your advice - I also hope that my 4 gig RAM will be usable when XP goes; at the moment ,even on W 7 64 bit, only 3 Gig is usable, and I really can't - for a relatively short period - worry about fiddling with the BIOS

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…