Vista and XP Pro

klospros 23:06 24 Oct 07

Hi all, I have xp pro and vista home premium which I have tried to set up to dual boot, the first time I did it only vista would boot so I restored xp using acronis true image 10, this put xp back as i wanted but now I cant boot into vista at all, I presume its because xp replaced the mbr and boot records. I checked my H/D which I partitioned into 80gig partitions each and it (vista) is on the other partition. Any ideas how I can resolve this without reinstalling vista so they will both be able to boot and show on the boot up menu??

mgmcc 08:56 25 Oct 07

You must install XP first and then Vista. XP's Boot.ini file isn't used by Vista which will install its own Boot Manager in the XP partition and provide the necessary Boot Menu to select the OS to load.

klospros 18:44 25 Oct 07

I realise this but as vista is already installed as well,is there any way I can edit the vista boot menu without complety reinstalling vista or will that be the only way?

tullie 09:35 26 Oct 07

There is plenty of advice on how to do this if you google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…