Vista Windows Update & Office Items Not Installed

Zeppelyn 19:30 12 Mar 08

The only components of Office I have installed are Word, Excel and Powerpoint yet Windows Update keeps offering me updates for Outlook and Publisher. I know I can hide them but just curious why it insists I need them for something thats not even installed

Totally-braindead 22:46 12 Mar 08

Because Microsoft don't like any of us?

Seriously though the only explanation I can come up with is a possability and I hope you don't me having a guess.

Office is designed to be intergrated so that the parts work together you can import an item from one part of it to another part if you follow and its POSSIBLE that thats why it comes up with these updates IE because its needed to allow the integration between the various parts of Office and the update can't tell which version of Office you have.

Actually after typing that and thinking about it, it seems to me that the most likely explanation is simply that it can't tell which version of Office you have and gives you all the updates.

I have no idea if either of those guesses are right but its a reasonable supposition.

Pine Man 08:41 13 Mar 08

I have used Office 2007 for about a year without installing Outlook and, like you, I was always offered an update for it. I assumed it was because it was an integrated suite and rather than hide the update I always installed it and it made no difference whatsoever.

2bathred 10:34 13 Mar 08

I've got Word etc installed but not activated(on a Vista PC) I don't use any of them, and have never bothered to remove them. (Lazy). They are purely on there because it is a retail PC The updates are all loaded automatically when they arrive. My latsest PC, which I put together myself has none of the Office suite and consequently does not get any of the updates. In conclusion I agree with Totally-braindead and Pine Man that they are all integrated somehow and wether you use them or not makes no difference. Office.Org for me.

Forum Member2 13:10 13 Mar 08

do you mean click here

2bathred 20:10 13 Mar 08

I do yes. It is excellant and free

Zeppelyn 20:15 13 Mar 08

The intergration idea sounds a about right to me, Just curious as to why really. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac