vista and wi-fi link to laptop

sunny staines 13:14 23 Apr 08

just installed vista runs well.but stuck on home network. desktop with vista connected to router.

laptop with xp connects via wi fi to router.

both computer do not see each other now. i tried the network wizard in vista saved to a usb key to run on the laptop, but after that the laptop lost all its wifi and wound not even connect to the net [used system restore to get the laptop wi fi working again] tried the microsoft patch kb122920 but no help there reinstalled firewalls no luck.

any help please.

I am Spartacus 13:33 23 Apr 08

I did it the other way round and setup the network on my XP system and used a USB key to transfer the settings.

The LLTD patch on XP only seemed to work after I'd set the network up and not before.

I am Spartacus 13:43 23 Apr 08

By the way I couldn't get a network set up if I used a wired connection to the router. I have had to have all the PC's connecting wirelessly. I have limited knowledge of how a network works and haven't figured that bit out yet.

sunny staines 14:49 23 Apr 08

thanks will try that option later and report back.

Ashrich 23:32 24 Apr 08

You are aware that XP defaults to MSHOME and Vista to WORKGROUP as the network names , are both of your PC's using the same name ?

Ashley

sunny staines 13:50 25 Apr 08

Ashrich

thanks for the tip, not had a chance yet of having another go.

sunny staines 02:46 30 Apr 08

waiting to sort out sp3 om the xp media centre laptop via autoupdates next week will then follow the advice given above.

and sp1 on the vista desktop.

sunny staines 13:14 11 May 08

had another bash at this problem now sp3 is on xp [giving up waiting for pc to get vista sp1].

tried the network wizard in xp then copied to vista.

result laptop can use the printer attached to the pc but cannot access the pc.

the pc with vista strangly gets access ok to thexp laptop.

as a last resort filed all docs on the laptop and placed shortcuts on pc so docs can be viewed by both.

unless any more adice can be offered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…