Vista upgrade failed on Dell Dimension E520 help p

scottie32 10:30 31 Mar 07

My Dell Dimension E520 came with XP Media Centre 2005 with an upgrade to Vist Home Premium. The upgrade failed at the very last moment and returned XP. Unfortunately XP was very unstable so I went back to a restore point and when the PC boots all I get is the wallpaper picture, no taskbar or icons on the desktop.

I tried using the rescue CD to repair XP which it did not do. The CD will not boot but goes to the HDD fisrt despite BIOS being set to boot form CD?DVD drive first.

What can I do to restore XP to a system which worked very well!

I should be very grateful for help.

Scottie32

T0SH 10:39 31 Mar 07

Try tapping on the F12 key during post or when the Dell logo displays, this should bring up a list of boot options use the up/down arrow keys to select the CD/DVD drive

Cheers HC

scottie32 11:04 31 Mar 07

Many thanks for your speedy response. I tried F12 and the CD/DVD drive is top of the list. I inserted the Dell Recovery Disc but the drive is not recognised. Could it be the drive has failed or there might be a loose connection?

dth 12:17 31 Mar 07

can you play a normal CD from the drive (just to test if the problem is there)

Kate B 18:16 31 Mar 07

I can't upgrade on my machine for some reason - can you do a clean install with the upgrade disc you've been given via the workaround? Also, it's a bit scary but it's worth checking you've got the most up to date version of your bios.

Totally-braindead 10:10 01 Apr 07

Could this problem be linked to this click here and this click here.

I'm not saying there is definatly a windows fault here but its strange we have 3 threads on similar problems all running Vista.

anskyber 10:32 01 Apr 07

Does the firmware click here for the removable media device apply to you?

anskyber 10:34 01 Apr 07

Sorry the link did not function correctly. From my link choose your product type and model, change the OS to Vista and a list of updates including the above will appear.

scottie32 14:51 01 Apr 07

As you can see I've received a number of responses for which I am very grateful and thank you all. As you suggested I tried playing an audio CD which did not work though to my surprised the audio on the speakers started working. I have not tried a boot into safe mode as I've been away overnight. What I have noticed in the BIOS that the HDD 500GB runs on raid 0 (there is only 1 HDD on the system) this I don't get on my other PC.

Many thanks - should you have any other suggestions I'd be grateful

scottie32 15:00 01 Apr 07

I'd read your post before I launched into this and the Dell CD/DVD which takes you through the preparation to putting the upgrade DVD in the drive did update the BIOS. I must confess that I have never been a fan of upgrades preferring a clean install on a reformatted disc but I'm in this boat now! I bought the PC in November last year with the upgrade included and I don't know if I would be allowed, under MS's licensing agreement to do a clean install. Perhaps I might give it a try if I can work myself of this mess! If I can, I'll happily let you know.

Kate B 15:02 01 Apr 07

You can do a clean install from an upgrade disk - try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009