vista updates won't install

Marko797 19:04 04 Jan 08

Wife has new laptop (Vaio) with Vista. She keeps getting the 'updates available' icon and goes thru the motions of downloading. There are 27 available apparently.

Then she goes thru the restart, and after about 15 mins she's able to get back on the laptop.

The update icon is still there and when checked, it shows all updates have failed to install.

Anyone know why this is happening? It's driving her mad, and now she's driving me mad. Thnx in advance.

PS - we are both new to Vista.

sinbads 19:09 04 Jan 08

try downloading them manually

Marko797 19:12 04 Jan 08

thnx sinbads but when I tried that vista told me to go thru the download centre via settings/all programmes route. Is there another way then?

sinbads 19:18 04 Jan 08

select veiw update history in windows update,

choose a failed update double click on more info ...should give you the download.

save to desktop an run from there

sinbads 19:27 04 Jan 08

make sure you have selected the way you want the downloads to proceed as there is an option in windows update /settings/ to download updates ;;but only installed by user so could be awaiting your approval?

probable best to set this to auto download and set a time

BurrWalnut 19:40 04 Jan 08

This is known to help in some cases :
Go to Internet Options > Security Tab > 'Trusted sites' icon > click Sites then uncheck 'Require server verification'. Now add these 2 sites http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com and http://*.windowsupdate.com.
Click Close, Apply and OK.

Marko797 19:52 04 Jan 08

sinbad the manual method seemed to work but a nuisance when there are 27 of them.

BurrWalnut, have tried ur solution and will give auto-install a go again.

I'll report back.

sinbads 19:55 04 Jan 08

have you checked settings in windows update?

Marko797 20:49 04 Jan 08

it didn't, work the way you mentioned. I'll stick with the manual method for now. thnx anyhow.

what settings do u mean sinbads? I'm new to the vista world I'm afraid.

sinbads 20:54 04 Jan 08

ok go to windows update page on the left hand side you will see settings in settings there are various options regarding the way updates are downloaded ie auto /download but dont install etc

sinbads 21:11 04 Jan 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac