vista updates problem

Smokeyone 13:01 16 Nov 08

Over the last few days every time vista updates itself my system freezes. I then start in safe mode and go through system restore to get it working again. Has anyone got any suggestions please or has anyone else the same problem...
Thanks

chub_tor 14:25 16 Nov 08

If you are doing a System Restore to before a time that the Update was installed then in effect you are undoing the Update. You need to find out which update number is causing your computer to freeze and then look on the Microsoft Support website to get a solution. If you keep going back via System Restore you will continue to get the problem.

Disable Automatic Updates then check to see what updates are available for your machine and that will point you towards the one that is causing your problem.

Smokeyone 16:17 16 Nov 08

Thanks very much for the help. I tracked down the problem to a security update and it seems there are known issues
click here
However the explanation has rather got me stumped - something to do with "inbox drivers"...

chub_tor 19:47 16 Nov 08

I don't know if you continued reading but further down the website there is a link to this page click here which gives precise details on how to fix your problem. Good luck and post back if it is still not resolved.

Smokeyone 06:57 17 Nov 08

Will work on it and report back = thanks

Smokeyone 07:06 17 Nov 08

I did not think I would be back this quickly. Followed the instructions and ended up on my vista update page with message saying no new updates..........windows is up to date....

chub_tor 09:11 17 Nov 08

Sounds like a result then!

mooly 07:56 18 Nov 08

Posted this the other day,
click here

The link you posted with the fix -- I tried that and yes it does seem to work BUT it says applies to XP only. Have I read that right ?
I am not sure what to do next, have gone back to a backup image and am at the point where KB954430 keeps appearing. Am trying to find out more.

chub_tor 09:53 18 Nov 08

If you click on the link "Products that this applies to" on the Microsoft web page that I posted you will see that it includes Vista after SP1 has been installed.

chub_tor 09:56 18 Nov 08

Whoa I don't know what happened there. I am sure that the first time that I clicked on the link that a whole bunch of them scrolled down which included Vista. but the second time that I checked the link it only showed XP. Now I am not sure.

chub_tor 09:58 18 Nov 08

OK now I know what happened, the first time I clicked on the link on Smokeyone's page which is the description of the update and does include Vista. My link which is to the download shows only XP - well done Microsoft for confusing us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…