Vista Ultimate 32 Bit - Onboard USB Ports Not Work

James1947 17:38 07 Mar 07

I have purchased the full retail version of Vista Ultimate. I have installed it to a spare hard drive. It detects a PCI Card four port USB 2 card, with a four port front bay/hub, but the onboard USB 2.0 ports are not working. No matter what I connect to the (External HD's, Graphics Pad, Thumb Drives etc) I get a message similar to " A USB device connected has malfunctioned, reconnect the device or contact the manufacturer etc" that's not verbatim but near enough.

If I connect it to the PCI hub or the front hub connected to the PCI card all is well, so the devices are all OK.

James1947 17:42 07 Mar 07

Any thoughts or advice to help cure this problem would be welcomed.

James

Ashrich 21:27 07 Mar 07

Better have a look at the Motherboards web site for updated drivers ...

Ashley

Coltch 08:34 08 Mar 07

Check device manager to see if the ports are recognised, if not download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. If they are try and are showing a yellow ! try updating the drivers.

crosstrainer 09:46 08 Mar 07

Another trick is to go to device manager, and uninstall all USb ports...to do this right click on them and choose the Uninstall option....then re-boot your computer...Vista should then install the correct drivers for you.

James1947 11:58 08 Mar 07

Thanks for the responses. The reason I have installed to a spare hard drive is that my mobo's drivers do not yet support Vista (I have a SiL 3512 Raid Controller).

Fortunately I also have a Gigabyte Raid Controller that connects to EIDE ports on the mobo, and can be configured to work as just EIDE, which is how I am set up.

I thought that MS Vista, or for that matter XP or otherwise installs the drivers for the USB ports, or how else could it install the PCI USB ports, the problem is they are all there and "drivered up" in device manager, but when I connect something they will not recognize it. Could this be PCU problem, I have a 450 watt PCU attached, and this and all else works fine in XP.

Any more ideas please?

James1947 16:09 08 Mar 07

Problem resolved. I downloaded and installed the Vista Updates and also soundcard updates and this has resolved the problems.

Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…