Vista system restore problems

Mat E Low 17:22 04 Jul 07

I have a HP media centre PC, and foolishly decided to use my free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.
After many hours of work fixing driver problems, system restore has now failed completely after HP reccomended some registery changes that failed to work.
HP are now saying the only solution is to use system recovery and go back to windows XP.
Can anyone give me some advice?

anskyber 18:48 04 Jul 07

Not completely sure you can go back or at least my understanding is the OEM (which I assume you have) licence for XP dies after a successful install of Vista.

How about a system repair? click here Choose configuring and maintaining from the left side tabs.

Mat E Low 19:14 04 Jul 07

Thanks, that means that I will be forced to reload Vista and that does not work properly

Mat E Low 19:15 04 Jul 07

Thanks, that means that I will be forced to reload Vista and that does not work properly

anskyber 19:36 04 Jul 07

I need to be careful here. I am not sure why HP have carried out the registry changes, apart from anything else you do not give information on what they were trying to fix.

HP (but others too) have been slow in some eyes to deal with driver issues, perhaps it was a driver problem with one of your bits of hardware which was trying to be fixed by HP?

A repair, if that is the problem, will likely give you a working Vista, but yes the driver issue could remain. When upgrading Vista, assuming you have a working internet connection at the time, Vista will go online to pick up drivers which are available.

Can you give more information on what HP were trying to fix? Do you have an XP retail disc or is it an OEM? ( It came with your PC)

Mat E Low 20:35 04 Jul 07

Thanks HP were trying to fix a system restore problem, my PC could not make a new restore point and therefore I could not download new drivers unless system restore was turned off. They asked me to perform the changes listed below this just screwed system restore completely.

1. Restart your system
>> 2. When the system first boots, type F8 to bring up the boot menu
>> 3. Select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option
>> 4. Log-on to an account with administrator rights
>>
>> After entering into the safe mode please perform the following to
>> re-register the .dll files, follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
>> 2. In the Open box, type: cmd
>> 3. Click OK.
>> 4. At the command prompt, type the following lines and press ENTER
>> after each line:
>>
>> Net stop vss
>> Net stop swprv
>> regsvr32 ole32.dll
>> regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
>> Vssvc /Register
>> regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
>> regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
>> regsvr32 es.dll
>> regsvr32 stdprov.dll
>> regsvr32 vssui.dll
>> regsvr32 msxml.dll
>> regsvr32 msxml3.dll
>> regsvr32 msxml4.dll
>>
>> 5. Click OK when you receive the message "DllRegisterServer in
>> FileName succeeded".
>>

>> 6. Type exit to quit command prompt.

Most of the above commands resulted in error messages.
If required I still have an OEM XP disc from my previous PC (this is a new one)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…