Vista Start/Progs/Acc/System Tools v slow

Halmer 07:56 03 Nov 07

Hi everyone

Just got my first Vista PC and like it but for some reason there are certain tasks that seem to take forever

One in particular is when I wish to open System Tools for example. I press start/Programs/Accesories and at that point the PC just hangs and takes an eternity before opening System Tools. The PC is powerful so it can't be that I don't think.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks

topdude 08:40 03 Nov 07

Hi, do a search in this forum and the "Helproom" as there are many posts about Vista being slow with some excellent advice..
It mainly involves disabling some of the "Services" that run in the background.
Also make sure you have a minimum of 1Gb RAM.

Totally-braindead 10:13 03 Nov 07

Further to topdudes post, 1 gig of RAM if you have a graphics card. If it has onboard graphics as well which uses part of the system memory then in my opinion 1 gig is not enough and you need more.
I think you need 1 gig of system memory free and clear to run Vista properly.
On the plus side memory is cheap and if you do want to boost it goto Crucial click here

Of course if you already have lots of memory this might not be your problem but you didn't say what your PC has.

Totally-braindead 10:39 03 Nov 07

Perhaps should mention the Crucial scan my computer might not work properly as people on Vista are having some trouble running it. Me included but Crucial have a 0800 number for phoning them and are very helpful.

Halmer 12:43 03 Nov 07

It has 2Gb RAM.

Following your kind advice

I've disabled low risk services that I don't need together with certain start up items and it is much better now. I've also defragged.

If I open the control panel it takes ages compared with my lower spec XP PC. Is this normal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5