Vista SP2 - Problems with Adobe Reader 10.1.4 and VLC media player

Bluestar87 02:26 15 Apr 15

Hi

Over the last month or two I have been having issues with Adobe Reader 10.1.4 and VLC media player.

Reader - takes about 5 minutes to open, once open immediately freezes. Have to use task manager to close.

VLC media player - takes about 3 min to open. Once open, works normally.

The other unusual thing which has been happening during this time is occasionally the computer will 'glitch' and a number of desktop shortcuts will change from the picture to a blank square. However they still work.

I have no system restore points before all this started happening otherwise I would try that.

I have run sfc/ scannow in safe mode which completes but says some errors would not be fixed.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problems or what else to try would be great.

Thanks!

BT 17:48 16 Apr 15

Adobe reader usually takes ages to load as does VLC.

Adobe fix - uninstall it and download Foxit reader - its quicker and takes up much less disc space.

VLC its always a bit slow loading in - can't offer any speed up tips, just make sure you have the latest version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…