Vista SP2 ( A Cautionary Tale)

crosstrainer 07:57 04 Dec 08

Had to roll back using Acronis.... We have all been warned, but my advice would be leave it until next year!

An Hour of restoration yesterday was no fun!..Have not as yet tracked down the problem, but got into an endless BSOD loop!

Al94 08:34 04 Dec 08

Same as SP3 for XP then!

crosstrainer 08:39 04 Dec 08

Well, I suppose we have to be fair.. ( Is in BETA) but I had no issues at all with SP1 BEta, (I think it;s a kernel issue, but not sure yet)

But...Yep!

interzone55 08:54 04 Dec 08

I haven't even got SP1 yet, I've not been offered it by MS update and when I forced an update I lost my graphics and sound drivers...

crosstrainer 08:56 04 Dec 08

Sadly a common one..What graphics and sound are you using?

ventanas 09:51 04 Dec 08

I'm not looking forward to this. My two laptops got SP1 almost as it was released, but my desktop was only offered it a few weeks ago. So I hope the long wait does not repeat itself.

Desktop is a Dell; Laptops both Toshiba.

peter99co 10:59 04 Dec 08

If you use Beta Version and it goes wrong, do you then inform Microsoft of the problem?

Why did you install a Beta Version?

crosstrainer 11:24 04 Dec 08

I installed because although now retired, I still play an active part in testing.

I expected problems, and got them!

interzone55 11:37 04 Dec 08

I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop with a customised nVidia VGA card - nVidia don't do the drivers for this card, they're done by Toshiba, who are a little slow on the uptake.

I think it's the same issue with the realtek sound drivers, installing the official drivers kills the sound...

interzone55 11:37 04 Dec 08

sorry that last post was a reply to crosstrainer

peter99co 15:42 04 Dec 08

After SP1 I had many problems with W media player. After many mails from Microsoft Engineer I was sent a Sound Card Driver update which cured the problem. You would have thought the SP1 would have fixed the driver problem but instead it was SP1 which caused the problem. Pre SP1 the Player was working properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…