Vista SP1 - what benfits?

Pineman100 17:35 20 Mar 08

I've read Burrwalnut's and Pine Man's threads about installing Vista SP1.

Lots of chat about downloading and installing it. A fair few mentions of slower boot times. But nobody yet seems to have any comments about the benefits of the service pack.

Has anyone got any thoughts on whether it's worth having? If it slows down booting, then I hope there's a payback for that!

anskyber 17:41 20 Mar 08

Faster boot times for me and speedier file transfer too.

rdave13 01:41 21 Mar 08

Commodo firewall v3 now works. Sidebar loads slightly quicker and Avast is in sys tray very quickly.
Umm..that's about it. What is happening 'under the hood' I can't tell you.

rdave13 01:41 21 Mar 08

Commodo firewall v3 now works. Sidebar loads slightly quicker and Avast is in sys tray very quickly.
Umm..that's about it. What is happening 'under the hood' I can't tell you.

im very interested too. i have been following things since beta, and still all im seeing is problems and 'installed no problem' nowhere have i read about any major changes or any resource throttling, apparently aero still runs behind games and 3d programs, the mail and power options still seem wobbly. rdave13 i thought v3 was written for vista?

rdave13 02:52 21 Mar 08

It was. Left me with Vista screaming that I had a pirated copy. Had to uninstal through safe mode and harmony reigned. Disappointed with the Comodo forums. Seems that even the best are caught out. Since SP1 I decided to download the latest version 3.0.20.320 and back to normality.
Pity it's a bit bloated compared to version 2.

Pineman100 11:00 21 Mar 08

Well, there are a couple of slightly positive comments above, but so far nothing that suggests SP1 is a vital, or even necessary upgrade.

I must say I was hoping that SP1 would change my negative view of Vista, but certainly not so far...

2bathred 11:41 21 Mar 08

Downloaded under updates and although expected the worst after reading all the negatives, loaded dead easy no problems. It would be nice if MS would just send out a simple notice that would tell us just what to expect from it. Clear and concise kills rumours and nasties every time.

Pineman100 11:48 21 Mar 08

Glad to here you installed easily. But do you yet have any impression of what benefits the service pack has given you?

LinH 17:00 21 Mar 08

Pineman100

The only benefit so far has been that an issue with a flash drive has been resolved. However, the boot time has increased significantly (almost a case of press the start button and go and have a cup of tea!). There may be other benefits but they will only manifest themselves with usage/time.

LinH

Pineman100 17:25 21 Mar 08

LinH

That seems a big price to pay for something as trivial as sorting out a flash drive issue. I guess you're hoping that the "other benefits" you're waiting for will be rather more significant.

As a matter of interest, did you upgrade to Vista from XP, or did you buy a computer with Vista pre-loaded?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…