Vista SP1 - How many Mb's will the update be?

Esc4p3 11:19 11 Mar 08

I have read recently that the Windows Update of Vista SP1 will be in the region of 450-550mb as it is a complilation of some previous updates, as well as all the published new ones.

Now, I am still on dial-up, and downloading that much is out of the question. Will I be able to get the update on a CD from Microsoft?

I have a fairly new PC with plenty of power and hard disk space, but that count's for nowt if I can't get the update in the first place.

Please advise

Bob The Blob 11:29 11 Mar 08

You could always get a friend with broadband to download and copy it to cd for you.

lisa02 11:38 11 Mar 08

Maybe some of the mags (pca?) could put it on a cover disk.

anskyber 12:13 11 Mar 08

When SP1 shows up in Windows Update, it will do so as an "important update" and give a size range from 51MB - 679.6MB.

I imagine it will filter out the updates already installed so the message is ensure yours is up to date.

Esc4p3 12:39 11 Mar 08

I have successfully installed all updates so far, and some of the more recent one's took long enough on dial up (about an hour and a half I think). Surely I am not the only one left on dial-up, surely Microsoft will have to offer a CD version?

Esc4p3 12:40 11 Mar 08

Opps, too many surely's in there :-)

Covergirl 13:06 11 Mar 08

I updated at the weekend and no mention of SP1, but the updates were nearly up to date anyway and there were only 11 to download.

I spent about £60 on dialup downloading Vista, Office 2007 and Norton updates on a new Acer last November /December. Decided it was cost effective to go to BB.

I'm sure it will be issued on a PC covermag or two before long. FE might like to comment on PCA's intentions.

HondaMan 14:52 11 Mar 08

(click here)
the download size will be 176K - 1.1Mb

Covergirl 17:12 11 Mar 08

I think that's the size of the "User Guide" ie instructions on how to do it

setecio 09:10 14 Mar 08

Pop in to an internet cafe, download it and burn to CD.

ventanas 12:17 14 Mar 08

Many current PC Mags have a voucher enclosed that will enable you to order a CD when available.
Have a look in W H Smith.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac