Vista SP1

bgbopper 13:24 13 Dec 07

I have just had a email from Microsoft Tech asking me to download VISTA SP1.

As far as I know, this is not the final "cut" so has anyone downloaded and tried this SP1? Anyone found any faults? Knowing my luck, most of my software will cease to work but I'm curious if anyone else has tried it.

anskyber 14:08 13 Dec 07

No I have not and for the reasons you are concerned about. It's a release candidate and probably very close to the final version but still subject to change.

I'm going to wait until January/February when it's out for general release.

My system is very stable and I want it to stay that way.

BurrWalnut 14:36 13 Dec 07

If you're tempted to install SP1 only do it if you have a Vista DVD. The installation procedure is more prone to BSODs than normal updates/fixes and to return to a working system you need the DVD to restore to a point prior to the SP1 update.

The download/install can take quite a time. If you still want to get it, download it from click here

Quiller. 14:48 13 Dec 07

I was asked and dithered, shall I or not.

I started the first download of around 360Kb and ran it. It kept coming back that I needed to run it in admistrator mode.

I thought, sodd it and dumpted it.

I'll wait till next year.:))

BurrWalnut 14:52 13 Dec 07

I don't think you mean 360Kb or even 360KB but 360MB.

Quiller. 16:09 13 Dec 07

The first stage trigger was just 348KB. that was the first hurdle of three. click here

I fell at the first.:)

Rubus 16:47 13 Dec 07

The SP1 release candidate will have to be uninstalled before applying the final code in 2008, Microsoft warned as it also issued an odd caution on the subject. "After you uninstall Service Pack for Windows (KB936330), we recommend that you wait at least one hour before you try to install the final release of Windows Vista SP1," another support document read.

The company also noted that SP1 RC will expire at the end of June 2008.

bgbopper 20:29 18 Dec 07

After reading your answers, I've decided to wait till the "final cut" SP1 arrives. Many thanks for your answers.

Forum Editor 23:26 18 Dec 07

Release candidate for some time, and so far there have been no problems at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…