Vista Shrink OS Partition

RussB74 15:21 18 May 07

Has anyone used the shrink utility in vista, my computer came with vista premium already installed on a 320 gb drive, I would like to shrink that that down to 50 gb for the os, plus theres a 20 gb recovery partition formatted fat 32, any help/advice please.

Many thanks RussB74

BurrWalnut 16:34 18 May 07

It works pretty well. The main problem I encountered was decreasing the partition size to my desired size. It shrinks down to the first unmovable/locked system file.

To get round this, temporarily turn off System Restore, do the shrink and turn System Restore back on. Running a defrag may also move some of the ‘unmovable’ files.

Alternatively, you can shrink partitions by running the diskpart command from the Vista DVD, this avoids the occurrence of locked files.

RussB74 08:22 19 May 07

Many thanks BurrWalnut, I will have a go at your suggestion later today, when I tried To shrink that os partition at first it would only shrink by around 7gb.

regards RussB74

RussB74 08:30 19 May 07

Many thanks BurrWalnut, I will have a go at your suggestion later today, when I tried To shrink that os partition at first it would only shrink by around 7gb, I will let you know the outcome a little laer.

regards RussB74

BurrWalnut 08:56 19 May 07

I should have said that I'm using an OEM version of Vista not a preinstalled version and, as such, I have the DVD and you only have the recovery partition.

Make sure you have backups of your personal data as these operations can go wrong.

RussB74 12:48 19 May 07

BurrWalnut
have tried the suggested tasks, no luck.
I too am useing an oem preinstalled version of vista premium, I do have a DVD with Premium And Works 8 on it, but thought I would be able to reduce the C: partition that is 278.9 GB in size, but at the moment iI can only shrink the this by a total of 6710 MB.
My computer is a Medion 8822 and I have only had it a few weeks, it just seems a strange setup after using Windows XP.

Regards RussB74

terryf 17:05 20 May 07

Try a Google for partition manager trial and you will find several different including Acronis and Paragon 30 day trial. I have used Paragon to repartition. I also designated a 30GB partition when doing an initial install and then formatted the rest of the drive as another partition after Vista was installed.

RussB74 09:12 21 May 07

Thanks a lot terryf, my vista OS came preinstalled so I didn`t get the chance to partion and layout a decent hard drive.
I`m trying to do more or less what you have done, I will try a Google and see what comes up.

Many Thanks RussB74

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017