Vista and sharing documents

lynnechapman 12:50 11 Sep 07

Hi
I have just bought a new computer with Vista installed and am beginning to wish I hadn't.We have a network via a wireless router and have always shared documents(Word and Excel) previously. Now, although my assistant can open them, they are "read only". We have changed the attributes over and over agin and it appears that they will now not be read only, but as soon as you come out of there and then go back in to the properties to check, they have made themselves read only again.
Could anyone advise?
Thanks
Lynne
Nottingham, UK

mgmcc 08:16 23 Sep 07

I don't know if you ever resolved this, but the problem almost certainly lies with the "Share Permissions" for the folder(s) that you've shared.

By default, folders are shared with "Everyone" having "Read" access only. "Change" and "Full Control" are disabled.

Right click a folder you've shared and select Properties, then the Sharing tab. Click the Advanced Sharing button. If the box to "Share this folder isn't ticked, then tick it. Click the Permissions button and, for "Everyone" tick the Full Control box in the "Allow" column.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…