Vista Security Center

tickhiller 11:40 04 Oct 07

I am happily with Vista apart from a couple of minor niggles. My Samsung R70 came preinstalled with free trial McAfee which I have uninstalled properly and installed AVG. I have cleaned out any debris with CC cleaner. I am sticking with Vistas firewall until I find another free one.
The Security Center thinks that McAfee is still running and tells me that it is not a good thing to run multiples - but I am not.
What have I missed in my clearout?

security center reset:
start>> all programs>> accessories
right click command promt
select run as admin

type carefully and enter after each line (or copy and paste)
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

exit command prompt go into security center you will be prompted to turn it on and it should now show correct info.

tickhiller 14:35 04 Oct 07

Hi adman
I was able to do the first two lines no problem, when I entered the third it said access is denied.
I am logged on as an administrator. It would appear that this line clears the security center because when I restart nothing has changed.
Any suggestions?

did you right click 'run as administer on the command promt on start menu?

so it let you turn it off but wont let you turn back on? this o/s is sheer genious!
just enter the last line to put it back as it was

tickhiller 15:17 04 Oct 07

Hi adman
Yes I clicked run as administrator. I am now back as I was before I started. Thanks for your help, does this mean that it is a Vista flaw and I just have to wait and see if it solved by SP1 or 2, 3 etc?

it worked for me when i got rid of kaspersky, it's a known bug so i suppose they will get round to fixing it.

tickhiller 16:03 04 Oct 07

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…