Vista rip-off ?

amonra 22:17 27 Jan 07

Extract from PC Mag today:- ( USA )

OEM copies of Vista began showing up this week at e-tailers like Newegg.com, for substantial discounts, which can run up to half off the price of a standalone retail copy of Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. Microsoft is also offering its own in-house discounts, in the form of a Vista Family Pack, which allows the purchase of up to two copies of Vista Home Premium for $49.99, provided that a customer buy Windows Vista Ultimate at full price, through retail.

powerless 23:00 27 Jan 07

The OEM is cheap as chips.

Retail is stupidly high.

Most people will get it through a new PC purchase.

The family pack [knew they were doing it, but didn't realise you had to buy Ultimate] is pathetic.

Personally I would buy OEM, [if I were to buy it] as it's cheaper. You don't get the support from MS like retail but they'll be a gazillion posts, topics, MSKB's on all vista related problems.

spuds 16:58 28 Jan 07

Just been doing a price comparison, and I find that OEM XP Home and Vista Home Premium are being sold at about the same price, from a well known retailer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…