Vista re-install

surfer47 15 Nov 11

My PC picked up some viruses which have been cleaned but I'me left with problems, one of which is the inability to download all the Updates. and it has been suggested that I re-install Windows Vista. The PC is Dell Inspiron 530 and came with Vista pre-installed and I have a DVD Reinstallation DVD. What would be the best way to go about re-installing Vista and what pitfalls do I need to watch out for. Regards

onthelimit1 17 Nov 11

If you have a Dell reinstallation DVD that will have all the required drivers on it for your machine. Make sure the COA code is readable, as you will need to reactivate windows after the install. You need to save any data that you want to keep onto (say) an external hard drive (all will be wiped by a clean install). You will need to reinstall any programmes you have (Office etc), as they cannot be copied across, and there will be a load of updates to download. Put some free antivirus software on before accessing the internet (I use MSE).

surfer47 20 Nov 11

onthelimit1: Thanks for that. I will give a go.

surfer47 25 Nov 11

I ended up re-installing Windows. All is well now. Thanks

onthelimit1 26 Nov 11

Glad it worked OK.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message