vista performance loss

AL47 01:28 24 Oct 07

i have a very nice new laptop(vista), which is an upgrade to my older one(xp),

the thing is i think the slower one is faster than the newer one because it had xp. especially noticable with games

how much perfomance loss do you get with vista, it seems very noticable with vista?

anskyber 10:20 24 Oct 07

What is the spec of the machine? The truth is to get good performance fron Vista a good spec is needed.

Each OS change has demanded a higher spec.

AL47 10:45 24 Oct 07

its a core 2 duo at 2,83ghz
4gb ram
7950 gtx 512mb nvidia
160gb 7200rpm hdd

anskyber 12:06 24 Oct 07

It should be fine with that spec. Have you added any programs which might slow things up. I think the general view from gamers is the graphics drivers in particular are still needing futher development.

There have been a series of graphic card updates from manufacturers including nVidia, have you got the latest drivers for your card?

AL47 12:19 24 Oct 07

i dont know, it says

7.15.10.9809 on the driver version with date 12/02/07

anskyber 13:14 24 Oct 07

There are certainly more recent drivers for your card. The latest are only about a month old click here but when I go to the English international driver download site (see to the right) your card is not mentioned, perhaps by error.

I would look to see if you can get the latest after February for your card.

anskyber 13:21 24 Oct 07

Also try control panel and choose check for updates under security, they might come though that way, mine do. You will need to ensure your updates settings are set to include recommended updates as well as the essential ones.

at this moment in time a 2 gig xp pc will walk all over a 4 gig vista pc as far as todays games go. this may change as newer games, dx10.1 and superior graphics cards come out. look at the benchmarks programs results.
turning off uac, supafetch, defender, sidebar and aero will help in the meantime. and check for latest patches click here

you can also turn off windows search.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5