Vista partition resizing

sheffield12 19:36 01 Mar 08

I have a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded and a 500 GB Sata 300 interface HD.
The HD was already partitioned for C
drive 445GB and D drive of 20GB which contains the recovery program. I know wish to make the C partition much smaller to make a ghost imsge now I have got all my important software on it. To enable speedy recovery if the need arises.

Using Vista's own software I can shrink the C drive to about 300 GB but as the current programs take up about 33 GB I would ideally like to shrink this volume to around 50GB and make a new partition with the remainder. I have tried gparted but although I can get to its main page it states no devices detected, similarly Partition Logic will not recognise devices.

I never had this problem with XP and traditional HD's although I guess things have changed now!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this and from reading up on the web it does say that the original Vista installeation disk may be needed to verify changes, is this so? As Vista came preloaded on the computer and I have only a recovery disk and an application and support disk.

Any help advice assistance would be greatly apreciated

BurrWalnut 09:52 02 Mar 08

The shrink partition utility can only decrease the partition size down to the first unmovable/locked system file. To get round this, temporarily turn off System Restore, do the shrink and turn System Restore back on.

Running a defrag may also move some of the ‘unmovable’ files.

sheffield12 16:16 03 Mar 08

Thank you BurrWalnut spot on! I spent ages trying to resolve this before I posted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…