Vista not allowing me to End Tasks...

Radix Lecti 14:57 PM 16 Apr 09

Hi all, I'm running Vista Home Premium and I'm encountering an issue whereby after a random length of up-time, I'm not able to end any tasks through the Task Manager, or using any of the task killing utilities available.

Any ideas on this? Rebooting is getting tedious!

Technotiger 16:09 PM 16 Apr 09

I've just been experiencing the same thing - I pressed Ctrl/Alt/Del then stopped it that way.

Radix Lecti 16:12 PM 16 Apr 09

Thanks Technotiger, however Task Manager (the thing you access through CTRL, ALT + DEL) just isn't ending the tasks as I ask it to.

Technotiger 16:33 PM 16 Apr 09

Instead of trying to End Task, choose any of the other options - like for instance Change Task, or any of the others.

Radix Lecti 16:35 PM 16 Apr 09

I don't have a 'Change Task' option to select :o\

mrwoowoo 19:21 PM 17 Apr 09

In the task manager you could try the end process tab instead.

Radix Lecti 22:42 PM 17 Apr 09

Ah, sorry, this is what I've been doing. I think I'm just using XP terms (tasks, instead of processes?).

Any other ideas? It's driving me loopy.

mrwoowoo 04:35 AM 18 Apr 09

You could try typing "sfc /scannow" in the search option to scan for iffy system files.
Quite often though,it can be caused by faulty drivers which can be a mare trying to find which is causing the problem.

Radix Lecti 12:00 PM 18 Apr 09

Hi there, I'd already run the system file checker, without issue. All seemed to be well :o\

mrwoowoo 15:23 PM 18 Apr 09

Having Zonealarm and spyware doctor on Vista can cause conflictions and cause this.
If you have either,uninstall it or them and see how it goes.
Apparently there are lots of people on the forums who are having this problem with Vista and seem to be stuck with it.)O:!

mrwoowoo 15:34 PM 18 Apr 09

Process Explorer from sysinternals.com (free) does shut doen processes better than Vistas own task manager according to reviews.
I know it's not a solution but may help in the meantime.
click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites