Vista MemoryAllocation

chub_tor 11:40 06 Mar 08

I recently changed the two 512Mb SODIMMs for two new 2Gb Memory modules (great price from 7Dayshop.com by the way)in my Toshiba Satellite P100-160laptop. This laptop has the Intel 945 Graphics chipset built in and does not have dedicated memory as far as I know. My question is knowing that Vista has a limitation of just over 3Gb will any of the "spare" memory from the 4Gb installed be used for the graphics or is this a fixed amount and so my "extra" memory is "wasted"?

anskyber 11:52 06 Mar 08

Looking at the panel to the right of click here it will use up to 512MB of your system memory.

So the answer is you should get better graphics and system performance.

chub_tor 12:00 06 Mar 08

Thanks anskyber, I should have thought of looking there. I was about to come back and explain that I have the 32bit version of Vista which seems to be the limiting factor of RAM. It seems then that I have only "lost" roughly 1/2 Gb if 3Gb goes to the system and 1/2Gb to the video. Having only played with the upgraded machine for an hour since I installed the new RAM it does seem quicker so for less than £50 it was a good upgrade.

mazuk 18:08 06 Mar 08

Ye 3.5GB is the limit to 32bit o/s 64bit is 4GB+

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…