Vista Liscening & Validation

mjtomlin 15:19 30 Nov 07

I currently have a genuine validated copy of vista home premium running on my desktop & I am selling the PC.

Ive decided to sell it as components rather than 1 unit, my question is -

If I buy a laptop running home basic (i dont really need a powerful machine)would I be able to install the upgrade copy of vista after it is uninstalled/the hard drive was formatted that it is currently installed on?

Would it still be deemed a genuine copy by Microsoft following the validation process as it would still only be installed on 1 machine?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

anskyber 15:37 30 Nov 07

Did you install it yourself from a retail copy of a CD or was the OS preinstalled by the manufacturer of the machine you are parting with (an OEM copy)?

If OEM it dies with the machine although there are workarounds which I regret I must not help you with. If it is the full retail copy of the OS simply moving from one machine to another then you can.

mjtomlin 15:44 30 Nov 07

The vista dvd was an 'express upgrade' I purchased a laptop in january with media centre pre installed and a free upgrade to vista was offered.

I sold the laptop with media centre installed and used the upgrade dvd on my new desktop.

Thanks

ventanas 16:14 30 Nov 07

A somewhat more complex licencing issue than normal, but I would say that, as the upgrade was offered as part of the pre-installed OEM Media Centre system, then that disc also becomes part of the OEM installation, particularly as it was free.

Therefore installing onto another PC is in breach of the licence agreement. The upgrade disc should have been passed on with laptop that was sold.

mjtomlin 16:30 30 Nov 07

The laptop was sold after only 3 weeks of use and as such the upgrade was not available at that time.

When the upgrade became available I received the DVD and rather than wasting it by not using it, I installed it onto my machine.

The PC has passed authentification and validation checks by Microsoft and is genuine. The DVD was used to upgrade a media centre edition of XP so was used as it was intended - to upgrade 1 edition of said software.

ventanas 16:47 30 Nov 07

I don't think that matters, it was supplied to upgrade a particular installation of media centre, and in my view is tied to it. The fact that by that time you had received the upgrade disc you had parted with the qualifying machine is not really relevant.

It may be genuine (genuine and legal are not the same thing), and may well pass all the tests, but I would not touch it.

It's up to you really. Only Microsoft can confirm whether you can use this dvd on another machine. You can always ring them and ask to speak to their licencing department. They are always very helpful.

mjtomlin 17:10 30 Nov 07

Think Ill just stick with whatever os comes with the laptop, seems to be the simplest way!

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…