vista ip blocker

martd77 17:00 02 Mar 08

Whats a good free ip blocker for vista?
Peer guardian as yet isnt vista comp
thanks?

Jim_F 13:06 09 Mar 08

The Vista firewall is capable of blocking IP ranges (inbound and outbound) if thats what you're after but if you have a broadband router then its preferable to use that to block unsolicited traffic as it can make your PC almost invisible to the outside world and doesn't load your CPU doing it.

martd77 20:54 10 Mar 08

cheers jim not quite what im after,something along the lines of peerguardian or bluetak,thanks anyway for your suggestion

Jim_F 22:21 10 Mar 08

Thanks for the feedback martd - I can see that Peer Guardian is 'just' a little more sophisticated than what I was thinking of :)

It looks like the developers are fairly bullish about getting this onto Vista so you shouldn't have long to wait..

Jerman 21:34 17 Aug 08

There is another alternative to Peerguardian for Vista. Peerguardian does not yet natively support Vista and the RC1 & RC2 versions are buggy with Vista and sometimes does not work properly. This is not good when you rely on PG to block the baddies you are trying to keep out. So far there are really no dedicated IP blockers for Vista 32/64. There are some IP blocker plugins for P2P apps but overall none that provide full spectrum protection except only one that I know about. Outpost firewall 2009 has a built in IP blocker that is compatible with the Peerguardian formatted lists. It is not as functional as PG2 but it does work really well. This is a good description and screenshots:

click here

martd77 08:01 30 Aug 08

Thanks jerman that looks a good alternative and it uses as you say PGs blocklist

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…