Vista Home premium How to disable windows media centre.

m800afc 04:41 AM 02 Feb 13

My friend uses Vista Home premium. How can I disable windows media centre? I have tried the method in the link below, and it still starts when a photo SD card is inserted. Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe even a small app.

Link to disable WMC

difarn 12:21 PM 02 Feb 13

When an SD card is inserted is there a box asking what program you want to open it?

Rather than disabling Window Media Centre you need to change the default settings for opening up SD cards.

Start Type: Default in search box Change Auto Play settings Choose Default Programs Click on Programs Click on the file extension you want to highlight it Click the change program The "open with" option panel should be displayed Ok Close

m800afc 15:07 PM 02 Feb 13

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it as a workround next time I see him.

The main question remains, however, he really wants to disable WMC. Is there an easy way of disabling it?

difarn 20:49 PM 02 Feb 13

Setting programme defaults isn't really a workaround - it's what you do when you want certain things to be opened by certain programmes - not just sd cards for example. If your friend is concerned that everything is being opened in WMC then he should associate file types with programmes as explained above.

If your friend really wants to disable WMC this article explains how to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11