Vista Gaming Concerns

al7478 14:17 21 Apr 07

I know this isnt as simple as my question probably implies, but a friend pf mine is considering getting a Vista based machine soon. However, whereas he and i are aware that there are certain concerns regarding gaming (his main use for the computer), we are'nt that clear on what the outstandind difficulties actually are.

If anyone can help outline the basic concerns for me, that'd be great?!

Kate B 14:25 21 Apr 07

The only issues are the drivers for graphics cards. I'm not sure what the state of play is on ATI cards but Nvidia has some work to do, particularly with the 8800 series, to bring the drivers up to scratch. Having said that, it posted some new drivers the other day which I haven't had a chance to install yet which might have addressed some issues.

al7478 14:34 21 Apr 07

does that mean that any game is theoretically playable, its just the graphics card may not be supported?

i have gone back to xp after most of my 32 games didnt run without problems mainly latest games fear, supreme commander etc, as kate said i use an nvidia gpu, but most of my games were known by vista to have compatibilty problems, yet only told me after installing, crashing and searching for solutions.
if you have the time this explains the problems
adam
click here

anskyber 14:37 21 Apr 07

This may also help. click here

al7478 14:47 21 Apr 07

anskyber and adman2.

wolfie3000 19:36 21 Apr 07

ALot of gamers i know are sticking to XP,

Those who have ventured onto Vista have had alot of problems,

Some game makers have released Vista patches but some of them are still in Beta.

My advise is to stick with XP for now.

I configured a new p.c yesterday from click here to be used mainly for gaming and the advice given was *have it installed with XP, we're having too many problems with games and Vista*.

I could'nt understand the reasoning behind this but maybe it is good advice.

Anyone else any experience of Vista and gaming.

Kate B 12:59 22 Apr 07

I'm having no problems with Vista and gaming bar the Nvidia drivers issue.

al7478 14:31 22 Apr 07

It seems largely a matter of personal experience then. I'll pass your comments along.

ulrich 17:03 22 Apr 07

All games state on what OS they require IE Win 98, ME and XP. Also which graphic and type whether it is ATI 9600 or Nvidia 6800. Does anyone have an ATI card with Vista and how is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…