Vista Freezing

dogbreath1 17:47 14 Jun 07

My son has just got a new PC running Vista.

Apart from installing a driver for a D-Link Wireless Adapter (DWL-G122), the machine is as delivered.

When browsing (Firefox) the screen randomly freezes, becoming black with only the cursor showing. Strangely enough, should he be playing music on his PC at the same time, it continues to play!

Another symptom is that the keyboard becomes disabled (number lock light goes out and caps lock button won't illuminate it's own l.e.d.).

Any ideas please as to what may be causing this problem?

Forum Editor 18:27 14 Jun 07

uninstalling the D-Link software, to see if it makes a difference?

dogbreath1 18:45 14 Jun 07

Thanks for getting back.

We'll try it but were reluctant to do that since it removes the ability to browse in Firefox which is when the problem occurs. I.e. if the problem went away, how could we be sure it was a driver issue and not, for example, a Firefox one.

Also, the PC was used without problem for 24 hours before the new driver was installed, since we couldn't find a Vista compatible driver for an existing BT Voyager 1010 wireless adapter.

click here

Also, the shop that built the PC uses the D-Link adapter and driver on their demo machines apparently without problem.

In any case, we'll give it a try.

ricvic 10:30 15 Jun 07

I get the same symptoms on a PC running vista business. It seems to happen when the PC has been running for some time and when I use the mouse. My internet connection is hard wired (so no wireless drivers). I had not considered a firefox link.

dogbreath1 15:37 15 Jun 07

That's often our experience. I.e. move the mouse and screen freezes.

farscapeone 19:43 19 Jun 07

I'm having the same problem but I don't use Firefox I'm still using Internet Explorer.

dogbreath1 19:57 19 Jun 07

Sadly, there are lot's of people suffering from this.

click here

Kate B 20:32 19 Jun 07

What are you using to play music? iTunes can give you a black hole on the screen while continuing to play music.

dogbreath1 20:50 19 Jun 07

Using WMP (as contained on the Vista installation disc).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…