Vista event codes

aiskew 22:17 25 Nov 08

Does anyone know of a list of Vista Event codes (explained).
In performance and diagnostics I keep getting Events 100 and 200 which appear to relate to boot and shutdown times.
It got so bad yesterday (it took 50 seconds to boot) after trying all the Microsoft suggestion relating to hangs, I had to do a system restore twice to get things back on track.
It would be nice to know what specifically these codes refer to and what if anything I can do about it.

BurrWalnut 15:33 26 Nov 08

I think 50 seconds to boot is rather good!

Anyway, to check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on, e.g. an antivirus program or when you shut down, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools in the left pane. On this screen the problem is sometimes shown.

If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 100 series are boot events and I believe those in the 200 series are shut down events. These can be followed by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom. Lots of information on Event Viewer click here

aiskew 19:03 26 Nov 08

Many thanks, I suppose it's just one of Vistas' quirks, some days it boots and shutsdown at different speeds.
When I check the Performance and Info Tools it just says that whatever program of function took longer than it should have.
Other than this slight query I'm happy with Vista (Vista Ultimate 64bit), I was a little concerned about opting for the 64bit version but I have to say the only thing which I have found a problem with is the game Kane and Lynch, which is a bit buggy to say the least.

BurrWalnut 20:06 26 Nov 08

If you want to pursue speeding up the computer, I have compiled a list that has helped in some cases. Post back here if you want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…