Vista even slower after 2gb RAM installed

joeysdreamgarden 23:43 07 Apr 08

I bought a Dell dimension E520 just over a year ago with Vista Home Basic pre-installed and only 512mb RAM. It's always been slow - even compared to my old Compaq with Windows 98SE! A friend thought that it needed more memory so he put in more about 4 weeks ago, now its got 2GB RAM. For the first few hours it was a little better... BUT it is now even slower, also the USB light on my speedtouch 330 modem flashes whenever i'm using internet. WMP now has problems with skipping, and booting up and loading programs takes an age. Cannot use window movie maker any more. Surfing internet is very very slow. Could it be something wrong with the new memory installed or it that just a coincidence?

I do use my old Compaq now as well for internet and listening to radio via internet, with the same speedtouch modem - and the USB light doesn't flash, no problems.

Please can someone give me a bit of help before I chuck this useless machine out of the window?? As you will see, i'm not a technical person.

Cheers
Joey

Totally-braindead 00:06 08 Apr 08

Where did you get the memory from? Are you sure its the right stuff you got? Its not just a matter of picking the correct physical size and the correct speed theres much more to it than that.
This is what your computer will take click here

If it is the right memory you have bought then perhaps its just a coincidence and something else is wrong.

Bob The Blob 01:25 08 Apr 08

Take the new memory out so it's back to just 512mb again and see if that solves the problem. If things are better then the new memory is the problem.

pk46 10:22 09 Apr 08

512MB is a bit tight for Vista even Vista basic if your using onboard graphics that will also eat the Ram so you could below the minimum spec required.

mazuk 11:26 09 Apr 08

There are a few things you can try:

1. Make sure RAM type is correct (e.g dimm , PC5300 , 667mhz etc)

2. Run vista's memory diagnostics tool to find out if you have any faulty modules or any other memory issues

3. Have a look in event viewer (should be start>control panel>administrative tools> event viewer/log viewer) to see if there are any memory allocation conflicts...

...Or could just be faulty RAM in the first place :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…