Vista Ethernet connection problem

didean 22:46 17 Aug 07

Hello there, I have a functioning broadband connection on my pc, running XP. I bought a Vista Acer 5051 laptop recently and a couple of weeks ago could access the internet from it with no problems. However,two weeks later, for some reason now it doesn't work. The only changes I have made is to install a firewall, update MS updates and connect using the "auto" connect function to get a wireless connection at a friends house. I have now turned off the firewall, to no result. I have done a sytem restore to no result.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
When I do IPconfig, it shows WLAN media disconnected (to be expected as the the modem I am trying to connect with is an ADSL modem, not a wireless one, then shows the IP address to be 192.168.1.5. The IP address of my working pc XP is 192.168.1.4
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help?

lil27 08:31 18 Aug 07

Not an expert by any means but when you get the cannot connect pop up, have you tried diagnose problem ?

Lil

daxian 10:25 18 Aug 07

hi didean......
how do you connect to the modem ?
usb or ethernet cable ?
is the modem also a router ?(can you have both pc & laptop connected at the same time).Dave.

didean 12:30 18 Aug 07

in response to Lil
when I run diagnosis, its says remote server is not responding or that the firewall of remote server is blocking

didean 12:32 18 Aug 07

Hello daxian

I use an ethernet cable to both pc and laptop. One connection works, the other doesnt any more.

daxian 17:39 18 Aug 07

hi again ....
have you tried the cable for the pc in the laptop.?
looking to eliminate the cable as the cause of the problem....
does vista report cable unplugged even though it is plugged in ?
if you switch off the wireless can you see the local network connection in network connections,
im thinking that the wireless lan is overideing the cable connection or the cable is damaged .Dave

didean 21:04 18 Aug 07

Hi daxian
Yes I have tried a different ethernet cable, and the original cable also works for my other pc, so I don't think that's it.
I tend to agree with you, its definitely a software problem. Could be possibly the automatic WLan stopping the ethernet connection. Do you know how I stop this? or change this?
Thanks
Didean

daxian 21:43 18 Aug 07

hi didean......
i think its more than possible the wireless has taken the same ip addy as the network card ...
switch off the wireless lan, connect the ethernet cable.....
then using the run command do an ipconfig /release,then ipconfig /renew,pressing return after each command......that should do the trick ..Dave

didean 06:52 19 Aug 07

forgive me but how do I turn this off? By deleting it in Network connections? or by ensuring the switch is definitely off? I m new to wireless laptops.
Thanks

Ashrich 15:12 19 Aug 07

Should be a switch or key combination to toggle wireless on and off .

Ashley

didean 18:13 19 Aug 07

Hello there
when I tried to run the command above, I got a system message;
"The requested operation requires elevation"

I then tried to go to the root directory to run the same command with the same message being produced.

Can any one explain what this means?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…