Vista error messgae"cannot find path"

Bruz 17:38 11 Aug 08

I was asked to install software on a friends new Acer Gemstone 7520 it has Vista Home preloaded on it.
In passing I have used all windows from 3.1 to XP pro and I have never found one that runs as slow as Vista.
I was asked to install AVG 8 and the latest Zone Alarm.
I downloaded both neither would install Vista said it could not find the path.
I wrote them onto a cd at home and tried that way, still cannot find the path error.
I have to install a wireless mouse from a cd and I know that I will not be able to because of this Vista fault.
Anyone with any ideas.
Bruz

sunny staines 18:54 11 Aug 08

Have you tried a SFC scan to check the dll library he may have some missing.

skidzy 19:55 11 Aug 08

To install your software,right click the exe and run as adminastrator.

For what its worth,im a Vista fan with only a few minor hiccups in a little over 18 months and ive tested several pieces of software.

Zonealarm is not really needed on Vista but is users choice,and AVG8 works fine in Vista.

Bruz 21:09 11 Aug 08

Thanks sunny staines, I thought SFC died when 98 did, when I get to the Laptop I will try it.
Thanks skidzy I have clicked on the files direct and I still get the same message. At first I thought it was just zip files that got the error but when I tried to install from cd it was just the same.
Thanks again to both of you.
Cheers Bruz

skidzy 22:25 11 Aug 08

Where are you saving the downloads to ?

In the Vista search try typing AVG,then look under Files and AVG8,right click and select properties .....what is the path listed ?

Again you can try to run as admin from there.

Bruz 05:49 12 Aug 08

skidzy
I will let you know the outcome of your suggestions when I get back to the laptop.
This will not be until Wednesday.
Cheers Bruz

Bruz 21:40 15 Aug 08

The conclusion to the saga is Vista is just as frustrating as the other windows clan.
I did nothing but put a disc in the drive and it ran the files and installed the software.
I also installed AVG with no problem what so ever.
It beggars belief, its had a few days off and now it works!!
Thanks for your inputs.
Cheers Bruz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…