Vista eating GB

juliesguy 00:34 06 Oct 08

I purchased my new laptop on the 3rd of October and it seems to be eating away at gigabytes.
One minute i have 197GB out of 222GB and within a day it went to 190GB and the next day 187GB and only a few hours later 183GB.
At this rate i will run out in a few weeks!!!
I have not installed new programs, videos, pictures or anything. If anything, i have removed a couple of unnessasary programs.
Please does anyone have advice as its a bit of a pain.
Thanks

brundle 01:10 06 Oct 08

click here

I would advise against adjusting the system restore space as some advocate, Vista stores a load more info than XP did for the task.

mfletch 15:51 06 Oct 08

It will be Vista creating new system restore points

It will reach a limit then it will delete old restore points as it creates new ones,

It will use altogether 15% of your disc space

FatboySlim71 08:07 07 Oct 08

If you want to delete all but the most recent restore point you can use Disk Cleanup (enter disk cleanup in start/search).

Next choose "FILES FROM ALL USERS ON THIS COMPUTER"

After you have clicked on OK, after it has calculated another window will open, click on the "MORE OPTIONS TAB" on the next window choose the CLEANUP on the bottom option (SYSTEM RESTORE & SHADOW COPIES). It will then ask you if you want to delete all but the most recent restore point.

I do the above on a weekly basis has I take regular backups with Acronis True Image and to stop unnecessary disk usage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant